Saturday, February 10, 2024

Project Quilting 15.3: Inside Out

 


This week's Project Quilting prompt "Inside Out" had me stumped! (You can find out more about this fabulous annual challenge here  It is hosted by Kim and Trish and their ideas are crazy good!

I found no inspiration on Pinterest and no ideas were trickling into my head ...until bedtime Monday night. Just as I was drifting off to sleep, an idea came in! I didn't get much sleep Monday night because I was constructing this in my head.



I started with some leftover jelly roll strips and a small piece of white-on-white fabric. I cut the strips down to 1" wide each. 




2 by 2 the strips were sewn together with wrong sides together. Wow! This was harder than I realized. I really had to focus to NOT put them right sides together. Once they were sewn, I used my pinking shears to give each seam a ruffled look. 

The seams were pressed open and I continued to sew the strips together to make one larger piece. Each seam was "pinked".







This larger piece was then quilted with batting simply with one line down between the seams. 







I added 2 strips of borders to the top and bottom of the white fabric and quilted this in diagonal lines. Using my chalk pen really helps get those lines straight!






















With the ruffly stripped piece pinned to the back and a heart shape template pinned on the front, I sewed the heart outline twice without sewing directly on the heart. I didn't want to trace the shape and leave any marks, so this worked well. 










And this is where the magic happens! With my fancy scissors, I cut just inside the 2 lines of stitching on the top to reveal the ruffly heart below! It is when the Inside comes Out!

I do think I caught myself giggling at this point!







French Knots were added. 

At this point in the photo, I had spent 15 minutes making French Knots.

3 trips around the heart making French Knots = 2.5 hours. 





I also added pearl beads along the top and bottom. 








Here she is and all finished! 

The finished size is 16" x 12". 

Thanks to the Project Quilting ladies for this challenge and helping me to create something I love and will enjoy for many years! 


Linking up with:

Project Quilting

Beauty Pageant

Wednesday Wait Loss @ Inquiring Quilter

Table Scraps Challenge


9 comments:

  1. Hi Hazel, what a great project! I love how you stitched the strips together inside out and then used your pinking shears - that would be a great look, even if the challenge wasn't inside-out! I hope that you don't mind if I do this sometime with one of my art pieces. Thanks for sharing your process. Your finished piece looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely incredible! Thank you so much for sharing your process!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting technique you used to create your sweet challenge entry, Kathy! Your scrappy entry could double for the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge coming up on my blog at the end of next week. It's been a while since you joined in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love how your project turned out. That's my kind of project using strips. What a revealing technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect in every way! I did some similar inside out sewing and I really had to stop and make sure things were "inside out". LOL! I love the added french knots and the beads! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is a fun idea! I love that you used your pinking shears on the inside out seams. Pretty colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy, I made a mini of your technique so that I could remember. Thanks! I'm now getting caught up with the Table Scraps Challenge - you also got a two for one! Cool.

    ReplyDelete