Monday, March 4, 2024

Project Quilting 15.5 Wearables

 


I wish I'd had a photo of my face when I read this week's PQ challenge! Wearables??? Really?

I've made a whole lot of wearables in my sewing room, including my first pair of jeans as a teenager. Lots of maternity clothes, baby and toddler outfits and even a clown suit for a professional clown! 

So the idea really didn't scare me, but the thought that I had to get this project done in 2 days threw me into a panic. We are leaving for a vacation to a lovely, warm tropical island Tuesday morning. 

As long as the project could be explained as something that can be worn, or was once a wearable piece, or includes an idea of something that can be worn, it's good to go! 

My panic lasted a few hours. Then I knew. I have always wanted to make a lanyard to help me keep track of my mini scissors. 


Everything I needed was already here at home.

I followed the Pretty DIY Lanyard Tutorial at SewCanShe. Caroline Critchfield writes up the best tutorials for so many projects and most are free! Check out her site if you haven't already spent hours there already...like I have. 




Fusible interfacing to give a bit of body and stiffness. 




I added a selvage message "Be Open To Whatever Comes Next". 
I'd been hanging onto this selvage scrap forever, 
and figured this was fitting! 





I had my lanyard "wearable" and completely finished in about an hour!
Whew! Good thing I've already got my suitcase packed. 


I realize this looks like I'm wearing an Olympic medal. 
I sorta feel like I won a medal for getting this accomplished so quickly!

I love it and know it will be worn always when I'm in front of my sewing machine. 
No more lost scissors! 


Linking up with:



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing this so quickly. This definitely is a wearable and useful item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever idea! Now you've got me looking for smart selvage sayings to use in projects. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does looks like an olympic medal! Great job on the PQ prompt and sew handy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thinking, Kathy! I bet it might work for my quilt guild nametag, too. Thanks for the link and enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete