Sunday, February 11, 2018

Bold and Brave–Challenge 3 of Project QULITING Season 9

This week's challenge at Persimon Dreams was to take Bold and Brave by the horns and complete a project in a week.
I'm not usually a bold person, but by golly, I sure am a brave one!
I've conquered many fears in my years on this planet and I needed to conquer one more this week!

Enter the Orange Peel Template! I bought this set over a year ago and needed to kick my apprehension aside and dig in!
I also needed to make a Galentine's gift for this coming week,
so I merged the two thoughts and got going!

Several years ago, I made this piece of art that hangs in my sewing room. I found the inspiration for it on pinterest.... a hole that I often get lost in.
Back then, I simply cut the "leaves" from scrapbooking paper by hand without a template and glued them down on a painted canvas. 
Looking more closely this week, those leaves really looked like "orange peel" shapes!

I was cooking with gas now! I brought out the rest of the Riley Blake Raspberry Parlour jelly roll that I used for my Valentine Pillow and chose the lightest strips for the background fabric. Sewing those strips together and then cutting up again to make a patchwork top was easy as pie and a quick sew. (Many apologies for the poor lighting!)

All ready for quilting!
I used a lightweight craft batting which I feel is perfect for table runners. 
Using a soft pink thread, I quilted using straight lines on each side of the seams. 

I failed to take photos of the pile of petals I had cut, but I have lots leftover for another snowy day project.
All petal fabric came from my stash (yeah!) and was backed using
Lara Buccella's Crafted Applique: New Possibilities technique.
(Please come back, Lara...we miss you!)
I love her technique as the edges will not ravel.

I played with the petals FOREVER getting a look I was pleased with. 

Then I sewed them down using my walking foot and a straight stitch
around the inside edge of each petal. 

Notice that one purple petal? 
That's purely intentional. 
It's a sign that I was there!

I used Riley Blake's Lovebug Love Script for the binding. 

Some lucky friend of mine will go home with this table topper this week! 
I ~almost~ hate to part with it!

OK, I'm lying. I want this for  myself. 

Measuring 31" x 18" .
Made in my home in Dubuque, Iowa.
3 layers of material, with applique on top. 

If you like my project, 
please vote for me 

I am #95!

Linking up with:


  1. I love this! You definitely have a lucky friend!

  2. This is really lovely! I hope you make more so you can keep one for yourself!

  3. I LOVE this Kathy! One of my favourite things in quilting is to make a background as you did and then appliqué on top. Crafted Appliqué renewed, no MADE me love appliqué whereas before I'd loved it but did not enjoy actually doing it! I have Sea Glass a pattern on Craftsy I bought a few years back, a few things are cut, but it has sat, pushed off to the back burner all the time...this makes me want to dig it out and put it at the front! Also makes me want to have a DREAMi and make this today... Great project and I LOVE the purple leaf and its meaning ;-)

  4. This is gorgeous! I love everything about it!

  5. Wow, this is fabulous! From the scrappy background to the bold flowers, it's just perfect!

  6. So pretty, I wouldn't want to part with it either.

  7. So wonderful! I participated in a series of Brave Quilter challenges a year ago and they really pushed me! I bet you'll create other gorgeous projects during your journey. Thanks for linking up to my Wednesday Wait Loss and making it all pink and pretty!

  8. Wow! This really shines, especially with the addition of the little hearts. Well done!

  9. I love the purple petal....

    fun stuff.

  10. What a beautiful tablerunner! I made a baby quilt with those templates, they are wonderful!