Saturday, February 6, 2021

Project Quilting 12.3: Virtual Vacation

 


Like so many others, it's been nearly a year since my husband and I traveled further than 30 miles from home. Last March, we took a cruise and one week later, everything shut down tight like dried paint on a window frame. Boom!

Wherever we go, we love to walk and explore new places, especially outdoors. Many times, carrying a purse or backpack is inconvenient and cumbersome. I've worn fanny packs, but feel like a real old teenager from the 80's. Gotta be cool...almost 60 year old me! :)

In my Pinterest sewing board, I had this Clip-On Waist Bag  tutorial from the Sew Very Crafty blog waiting to be made. It's been on my mind to make one and this was perfect for this week's Project Quilting challenge. This bag clips directly onto my belt loops of jeans or shorts. 

This handy pouch is ready now and waiting for my next (???) vacation! Woohoo! 

Just the thought gets me excited! 


I chose my fabrics from the stash...a lightweight denim and gorgeous purply-pink cotton for the lining and coordinating outside strip. 2 zippers and fusible interfacing to layer between outer and lining fabrics. This Craft-fuse was perfect to give that bit of stiffness without bulk. 


The instructions were very well written, but that doesn't mean a few swear words weren't spoken! I can follow directions, but sometimes my stubborn side tells me that I know a better way...not with this guy. Follow the directions.


We have 2 dogs. We go through probably 4 or 5 of those retractable dog leashes a year. I always cut off those swivel clips that attach to the dog collar. This was one time I was patting myself on the back for hoarding. I dug out 2 of them and they were just right! Nope, they aren't shiny and new, but they work and I didn't have to stomp through the snow to get to the store to buy pretty ones.  *These swivel clips attach directly to your belt loops.


It's such a great feeling when the online photo matches the actual project! I was on a roll!


The hardest part was the turn-inside-out-part which is kinda like giving birth. 
It's hard work-gotta be gentle-fingers crossed it turns out right-and I don't ever want to do this again process---until you see it's perfect and you made it and you want a dozen more!

Too bad it's not big enough to hold my cell phone!
Maybe it's because my phone is too honkin' big. 
I will make another and increase the dimensions. 
Until then, I will make accommodations.




I just love this clip-on bag! It's so comfortable, even with my essentials inside and keeps my hands free to do other things. May we all be able to get out and discover new experiences soon!

Dimensions: 7.5" x 5.5"
Made with 3 layers in my home in Asbury, Iowa



Linking up with:







6 comments:

  1. This is a very nice bag, Kathy! Great idea to save those swivels! That's definitely worth a pat on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen one of there. I,too, use a fanny pack reminiscent of earlier times. Hands need to be free on vacation and I carry only a minimal amount using a smaller bag. Loved your honest comments about swearing and knowing a better way to make it but did follow the directions as written. Will heed your warnings if I make one of these. Very useful project for traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very lovely fanny pack, indeed. I have purchased a different fanny pack pattern, but have yet to sew it. I will have to make one before my next vacation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a ready made clip on bag that we use when we took motorcycle vacations! I love it! Now I know I can make one! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete