Saturday, June 1, 2024

May Flowers Bring Roses

 




Who doesn't love roses? Keep your hands down, if that happens to be you. You might end up liking them enough to enjoy this project! 

Once again, I was prompted to create a project for Joy's Tablescrap Challenge...this month's theme being Kentucky Derby. I'm not a horse lover, although I do appreciate their beauty from afar. (I had a bad experience with a big "gentle" one back in Girl Scout Camp many moons ago.) 

So no horse, of course, in my project.

But with a winning horse in the Kentucky Derby, one may come home with a garland of roses.

Or perhaps a few roses on a pillow.

That's the squiggly tale of my thought process, anyway.

Among my many pins on Pinterest that will keep me busy far into my afterlife, I narrowed it down to the vintage scrappy rose applique using my batik scraps and a small piece of Kaffe Fassett flower fabric.  No pattern or template used, just free form cutting.





Multiple layers and 3 flowers later, I found a piece of white-ish upholstery fabric in my stash.

I had just enough for a small pillow, front and back...woohoo!



I layered this with batting and a muslin on the back to quilt in a big grid back and forth, then used some batik strips to make some fence-like posts. I was short on the purple strips, but I thought that just gave it more interest!



I stitched down each layer of the flowers close to the edge, as well as the leaves.




A simple 12" pillow form was made using muslin and poly filler.
The pillow backing was one that has the opening to sneak the insert pillow inside. Easy peasy.

And then, a pretty little rosy applique pillow was created!




Linking up with: 





5 comments:

  1. That is really pretty! I love how you made the roses - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your roses turned out great on your pillow. I'm for anything free form.
    Living in Kentucky, our Knock Out Rose bushes come in full bloom just in time for the Derby as if to honor it.
    They say it's always the same Kroger in Louisville that creates the Rose blanket for the winner. (Just FYI)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely pillow! So clever to think of roses when the prompt was Kentucky Derby. I love the addition of the stripes on the background to add interest. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/05/29/wednesday-wait-loss-382

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a wonderful project to meet the Kentucky Derby prompt!! Thanks for playing along, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete