Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Hello Summer!

 


Summer's here and the living is easy, as George Gershwin once said! 

As much as I love summer, spring will always be my favorite season. But the former kid, former teacher, and former public pool season passer in me, there is always a reminder of the sweet warmth that the hot months of summer bring.

My latest project was inspired by June's theme of "watermelon" at The Joyful Quilter's Table Scraps Challenge. Watermelon = Summer to me, so it was a no-brainer to put these 2 ideas together. 

I found a tutorial among my Pinterest boards for a mini banner that fit the bill perfectly! 

You can find the Summer Fun Watermelon Applique Banner here

created by Amy Chappell. 

I added the cursive text of "hello summer", which is pretty darned close to my own handwriting!



Cutting out the text was the hardest part of this project. Ugh. 
No wonder cursive is becoming obsolete!




Add the binding was not a part of the original plan or tutorial. It became necessary because of the vintage linen fabric I used as the background. It has a loose weave and became wonky and not fun to play with. 




I made 4 tassels from embroidery thread and a few beads
 to add an extra punch of color. 





This will hang on a narrow wall in my bedroom. 

Hello Summer!
Enjoy your easy living! 

Thanks, Joy, for your encouragement and support to keep this blog alive!

Linking up with: 







3 comments:

  1. What a lovely banner to welcome summer! I adore the extra touches you added--the tassels and beads and the words! Yeah, I'll bet they were hard to cut out but so worth it. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/07/03/wednesday-wait-loss-387

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracious you put a lot of work into that banner. Thanks for directing us to the watermelon pattern. Love the little hearts in it. Yes, cursive is becoming our coded language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute summer hanging, Kathy!!! Happy 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete