Sunday, January 31, 2016

PURPOSE: My One Word for 2016

 
I've chosen One Word for several years now.
 
My past words were:
  • Believe
  • Create
  • Organize
  • Change
I've enjoyed and have benefitted from having one word to focus my thoughts and actions on for a full year. This year my chosen word is PURPOSE. I want to give purpose to every day, to every action, to every item I own and to the way I spend my free time.
 
So, I started looking around my sewing room to find "stuff" I could use to make my One Word into a small wall-hanging. I found my over-flowing stash of selvages. I've saved them all, knowing someday they'd have a purpose.
 
 
Heck, I even saved the clear container the selvages are stored in from being buried in the landfill!
I found it in the housekeeper's trash while in Breckenridge last year. It's an ice bucket for chilling wine and has a tiny chip in it. I looked at that baby and said,
"That has a purpose!" It sure did.
 
So, I started sewing selvages together. Enough of them to stitch my One Word to. That meant I'd need about 25".
 
 
Yes, even my One Word is made out of selvages! I twisted and turned and folded each long strip to form a letter, pinning as I went. I do wish I had picked a different color for the "O". That light green just doesn't show up well. With a blanket stitch, I sewed each letter down.
 
 
Next, I chose a few extra long selvages to add a border to the top and bottom.
 
 
 
I had this funky glittery fabric to use as a backing. It was one of those purchases from the clearance row, but have never used. Probably never will either. Ick.
It works for this project though.
Notice I made those nifty corner pockets on the back
for the dowel?
Then came the almighty binding. I even had a package of bright yellow pre-made binding in my stash that needed a purpose, so that was put to use.
 
 
Close-up of my corner pocket.
Hand-printed with the date and my initials.
 
 
The finishing touch was to use some of my mom's old, old buttons. I cannot remember a time that this button bin didn't exist. She always kept it in the kitchen, above the fridge.
I should've asked her why she kept it there,
but it's too  late now.
I sewed a variety of buttons to the letters to look like tacks. So even those dinosaur-age buttons have a purpose now. Mom would be happy!
 
 
 
All in all, I'm very happy with my little project and my
 One Word for 2016.
Now that I'm done, I suppose I should tackle a few closets. And a garage. Maybe under the bed. A couple dozen junk drawers. Heck, even my email inbox needs cleaning out.
 
 
What is your One Word for 2016?
 

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic word and your mini quilt very much helps to define it! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts Word 16

    ReplyDelete
  2. My words are more motto this year... "USE IT" but in previous years including last year's "connections" I learned all aspects of a word.

    Simple Definition of purpose. : the reason why something is done or used : the aim or intention of something. : the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something. : the aim or goal of a person : what a person is trying to do

    It will be interesting to see what comes to you about the meaning this year. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are setting off with great purpose already Kathy! The mini you made all from things many might have thrown away is wonderful and says it all really. I wish you a very successful and purposeful year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great mini quilt to keep your word in mind, and a great word in itself too. I especially love your use of the selvages!

    ReplyDelete