Saturday, February 5, 2022

Project Quilting 13.3: Kitchen Influence

 



I don't usually sew when on vacation, but when I do, it's for Project Quilting!

The latest challenge was posted by Kim Lapacek at Persimon Dreams just hours before we left for our Hawaiian vacation.

Those few hours gave me just enough time to scrape together an idea and gather the necessary bits and bobs to get the job done.


I love strawberries and this sweet fruit is found in the kitchen. The strawberry fabric has been in my stash for-eeeever and I found just enough of a scrap of matching red, along with some stiff fusible batting to accomplish the idea rolling around in my head.  I added thread, needles, pins, seam ripper and my sharp snippers. 


I don't always iron fusible batting to my fabric atop a bed, but when I do, I am sure to cover the bedspread with a double folded blanket for insulation. Worked like a charm.

I don't always eyeball my shapes when cutting, but when I do, I try my best to cut straight lines. In this case, the shape is the first letter of my name. 


Red fabric was cut to match for the backing. 
I should've cut all layers at the same time, but my plan had changed mid-stream. 


Down to the poolside we go! 

I don't always sew with a mixed drink at my side, but when I do, it's a Mai Tai served with fresh fruit on a stick!

All 3 layers were whip-stitched together using 2 strands of DMC embroidery floss. 
A second Mai Tai may or may not have been consumed during this process.

K hanging above Waikiki Beach in Oahu. 

The stitched K! 
K is for Kathy. 
Kathy is the sole manager, executive cook, sous chef, pastry chef, prep chef, line cook, steward, porter and dishwasher of her kitchen back home in Iowa.
She deserves her initial to stand among other fancy little doodads on a shelf above her cooktop. 

K measures approximately 6" x 7".
3 layers including batting.
Completely hand-stitched in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii!

And that is where K will park herself in another week when she gets home!

Aloha!



K sitting afoot the statue of Prince Kuhio, the Prince of the People,
which stands along Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Oahu. 

Linking up to: 

Project Quilting 13.3












3 comments:

  1. Can't believe you actually managed to pack a project AND get it completed (all while sucking down Mai Tais!) Enjoy your vacation, Kathy!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! It's so wonderful how you made it work! I hope you had/are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you in Hawaii! Having a piece of hand work to do on vacation, just adds to the relaxation, I think. A piece of that strawberry fabric came in a bag of scraps I was gifted. I love it! You did a great job cutting the K free handed. I put a K on a quillo for G's grand daughter a few Christmas back. I found a font I liked and enlarged it in the word processor to make my pattern. Yep, I have a tut for that.

    ReplyDelete